Tuesday, September 9, 2008

People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I am SO sick of Drake and Josh. Seriously, Nickelodeon is just not cool. Back in the day it was all about Are You Afraid of the Dark?, You Can't Do That on Television, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Hey Dude, Welcome Freshman, Salute Your Shorts, Legends of the Hidden Temple, GUTS, even Muppet Babies, Hey Arnold, The Tomorrow People and Ahh! Real Monsters. You can't forget Double Dare, Clarissa Explains It All, and Pete & Pete. There were So many good shows. Now it's stuff like Drake and Josh and Zoey 101 and I don't even know what. For some reasons the kids I nanny for like Nickelodeon better then Disney so that's whats on after school. Every episode is exactly the same and the characters get annoying within 30 seconds. Grr. Sorry for my job related rant. Bad tv choices (and movie choice as we watched Like Mike 2 the other night) is really the only downside. Which actually makes my job pretty fabulous.

As for what makes good tv choices, well I was inspired by Jamie Lovely and Katelin and decided to post my tv shows aka what keeps me from reading the psych chapters i am always behind on in a self paced class. Here we go.

Shows I absolutely MUST dvr!
The Office
Grey's Anatomy
ATNM
The Hills
Shows I like and try to watch
Law and Order: SVU
One Tree Hill
Ugly Betty
My Name is Earl
Guilty pleasures that I watch
The Game
Secret Lives of Women
Shows I am *thinking* about watching
True Blood
Mad Men
Fringe
Kath and Kim

Okay so besides the distraction of tv, I have become obsessed with the idea of vegan baking. I am dying to make these vegan brownies or these vegan peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies. Are you asking yourself if I have decided to go vegan after the chicken hearts incident? Well, while it is very tempting and I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind it's actually a combination of 2 very important things to me.

1)The fact I am planning to keep kosher in order to be more observant to the Jewish faith
2) Refusing to give up my sweet deserts.

So the Torah + my cravings for yummy chocolate goodness= vegan deserts.

One rule of keeping kosher is not mixing meat and dairy. So if I was going to have a yummy hamburger, I could not have a regular chocolate chip cookie or piece of cake after for my sweet tooth. I could not have it in an hour or two. No cupcakes or ice cream. You can get parve (not meat or dairy) deserts or a non dairy one but the ones they sell are not always that great or readily available when the sweet tooth hits.

Vegan deserts though are definitely parve and they can actually taste pretty good. I am SUPER excited to try the peanut butter choc chip cookie recipe since that is an amazing combination. Peanut butter is a totally awesome invention, thank you George Washington Carver. Without you Elvis wouldn't have his favorite sandwich(peanut butter and banana, soo good!!) and I wouldn't have my favorite peanut butter and chocolate ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Oh, another peanut butter treat is going to Potbelly's and having them making you a banana and peanut butter milkshake. Deelish!

So I want to do the vegan baking because when Tal comes home next week (he's gone for another 9 days or so), I want to cook him dinner. My dinner will be a lot different then his and most likely more enjoyable for both of us. I am going to make him spaghetti in meat sauce (which is apparently really called spaghetti bolognese.) I will make a nice salad with balsamic dressing and of course, some garlic bread. Add a nice bottle of wine or 2 and some candles and we will have one romantic night a la Lady and the Tramp. I am thinking of making a chocolate whiskey cake with raspberry for desert.

So I should be studying or sleeping and since my contacts are bothering me, it is going to be sleep for the win!

Oh!This post from Maxie @ I hate So Much seriously made me crack up for the pure genius of the topic and how random and awesome it is. Go read. Now. So funny.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss the old Nick too! I freakin loved all of those shows and now there's NOTHING on. The only thing I can stand to watch is the Suite Life of Zach and Cody and that's on Disney. I don't know how kids are entertained.

Thanks for linking my entry, btw :-)

Anonymous said...

Old Nick was awesome.

P.S. If you want to write a guest post about your puppy, email me one with pictures and I'll add you to the schedule :)

Anonymous said...

Mad Men is effing amazing.
And the older episodes are On Demand (if you have Comcast).

Also, Gossip Girl is the prettiest guilty pleasure show in the WORLD.

And SOME of the old Nick shows are available on DVD - which kind of makes my life.

Bayjb said...

I watched Fringe and liked it but moreso was enamored with it in HD. AMAZING. I'm going to give Kath & Kim a try too, it looks funny.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!
Because of this post, and my "back reading". I was only 8mins late for The Game. Friday nights @ 830p now....I think they moved it to Friday nights on purpose. I had to send about 10 texts today to remind everyone to watch.
I'm loving your blog by the way!

-ShandaR